I continued simulating with RockSim and OpenRocket, defining relationships between different rocket alterations and the resulting altitude. For example, I established that—all else equal—the optimal amount of fins on a rocket for optimal flight was 4, and that the optimal fin cross section shape is that of airfoil.
|Number of Fins||Apogee (m)||Fin Cross Section (Shape)||Apogee (m)|
I attempted to contact my professor, informing him of the results of my simulations, but he replied back telling me that he was on a trip. He will be on that trip for the next two weeks, and he gave me 3 tasks to complete.
- Finish Simulations, including optimal fin rotation angle and optimal fin material.
- Graph those simulations—basic graphs are fine
- Figure out where to order all of the materials to build the optimal fins derived from these simulations
I began wrapping up simulations, running trials for the two categories that my professor told me to do.
|Fin Rotation (º)||Apogee (m)||Thickness of Fin (cm)||Apogee (m)||Fin Material||Apogee (m)|
Thursday: I graphed the two relationships that my professor asked for. (They don’t show on WordPress).
I spent the day calling different fin design companies about potentially designing fins for my project. I called the three that my professor and I had decided on last week: Altus Metrum, Glenmarc, and Noris Rocketry. While I did not decide on one company just yet, I got an idea of the cost necessary to build my rocket.